Application failed to start... error message

• Application failed to start... error message

I had your PCIeV4BASE board and CESYS UDK Version 1.15 software installed and working well on another PC. I wanted to switch to a newer one so I copied the folder with all your software to the new machine. I also copied the PLX RDK / SDK software to the new machine because I have that board too. I plugged the PCIeV4BASE board into the new PC and started it up. When the Windows New Hardware Found Wizard came up I directed it without thinking to the PLX driver (version 5.2) in C:\PLX\PlxSDK\Windows\Driver. The PLX PLXMON program sees your PCIeV4Base board but when I try any of your applications like Cesys-TestBench.exe or any of the other .EXE files in C:\CESYS_UDK\pciev4base\windows they all give an error like this: "C:\CESYS_UDK\pciev4base\windows\cesys-TestBench.exe This application has failed to start becausethe application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may solve the problem."

When I realized I must be using the wrong driver I used control panel | system | hardware | device manager to unintall the PLX driver which had been attached to your board and then shut down Windows and installed your driver when the New Hardware Found Wizard came up. But that did not fix it. What shoud I do?

Dave
    • Application failed to start problem solved

I solved the "Application failed to start" problem by installing Visual C++ 2008 Express edition on that PC. Your applications must require some files that come along with Visual C++ 2008.

Visual C++ 2008 Express edition installation includes all of the following:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5

Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86

Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 Express Tools for .NET Framework

Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 Express Tools for Win32

Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 Headers and Libraries

Windows SDK for Windows Server 2008

I have it working now but you may want to add a note in your documentation so that others don't have the same problem.

Dave
    • Thanks for your information. We always try to build applications statically, so dependency conflicts never occur. This isn't possible in all cases. So most prebuild applications that ship with the UDK need, depending on our used build system version, one of the following software updates, downloadable for free from Microsoft:

VS 2005: microsoft.com/downloads/detail…0b62a191ee&displaylang=en
      VS 2005 SP1: microsoft.com/downloads/detail…9c36f85647&displaylang=en

Please verify to switch to the correct language before downloading and installing the update. Installing both updates is a safe base to run our applications.

Tip: As startup problems based on missing DLL's never give a clean information, one nice tool to find the problem is dependency walker, downloadable for free here: dependencywalker.com/ ...
      Thomas
      Software development
      Cesys GmbH